Scholarships for MAPPA/APPA Development Opportunities
MAPPA supports the professional development of the employees of its member institutions. The professional development of personnel in the field of facilities (operations, maintenance, design, construction, etc.) is essential to ensure that the employee can continue to meet the challenges and take advantage of the opportunities available in providing facility services to the institution. MAPPA believes this professional development can be achieved through a wide variety of activities, two of which are the Leadership Academy and the Institute for Facilities Management.
MAPPA is currently committed to providing up to $20,000 per year to fund the support of APPA Educational events, which translates to approximately 10 full scholarships per year. Additionally, travel expenses up to $500 will be reimbursed.
Guidelines for Selection of Scholarship Recipients
Criteria for selection include:
- Reasons given for wanting to attend
- Recommendation from the Physical Plant Director/CFO of the school
- School must be a member of APPA and MAPPA
- Only one from each school per calendar year
- Elapsed time since the same school received a scholarship
- Level of activity in MAPPA
Procedure for Scholarship Application
- To obtain a copy of the scholarship application, please see links above.
- To provide adequate time for evaluation, applications should be submitted at least one month before the beginning of the program requested.
- Applications received later will be considered but will have a lower probability of funding.
- Completed applications for scholarship should be sent to the Past President of MAPPA by July 31st to be considered for the September programming offering and by November 30th to be considered for the January programming offering.
- Applicants who were not awarded a MAPPA Scholarship because all scholarships had already been distributed can be considered for a scholarship the following year’s educational events.
- Applicants from the combined pool who are not awarded the remaining available MAPPA Scholarships will be considered for the one APPA Scholarships, which do not include travel reimbursement.
Procedure for Awarded Scholarship
- Either use member institution funds for registration and apply to the MAPPA Treasurer for reimbursements or request that APPA invoice MAPPA for the fees.
- Non-registration eligible expenses are reimbursed by the MAPPA Treasurer.
- All reimbursements require a completed Expense Report (see above for link to the report)